Da Nang considers a multi-billion dollar port

  • ngày 20/11/2018

By 2050, the 120-year-old Tien Sa Port, the largest deep-water port in Da Nang city, will serve merely as a service and tourism port, while Lien Chieu port, which is still on paper, would become an international port with a capacity of 46 million tons per annum.


Da Nang plans to build an international deep-water port
 
Lien Chieu Port project, with total investment capital of VND32,861 billion, is scheduled to be implemented in three phases. 

By 2022, the investment capital would be VND7.37 trillion, while the port would have a capacity of 5 million tons per annum. The figures would be 17 million tons per annum and VND7.8 trillion by 2030. 

The port would be built with 30 percent of total capital from the state budget, while the remaining 70 percent would be sourced from Vietnamese and private foreign enterprises. 

In late July, the project on expanding and upgrading Tien Sa Port in the second phase, capitalized at VND1.069 trillion, was completed. Prior to that, Da Nang Port JSC implemented the port expansion in the first phase, which cost VND2 trillion.

Tien Sa is capable of receiving general cargo ships with tonnage of up to 70,000 tons, container ships of up to 4,000 TEUs, and large passenger ships of up to 150,000 GT. It can handle 12 million tons of goods every year, serving as the largest port in the central region of Vietnam.

Tien Sa is capable of receiving general cargo ships with tonnage of up to 70,000 tons, container ships of up to 4,000 TEUs, and large passenger ships of up to 150,000 GT. It can handle 12 million tons of goods every year, serving as the largest port in the central region of Vietnam.

However, Da Nang authorities think that Tien Sa’s capacity is not high enough. With the current growth rate of 20 percent per annum, the volume of goods in Da Nang would rise to 10 million tons by 2020 and 30 million tons by 2030, which is beyond Tien Sa’s capacity.

Some analysts commented that it would be unreasonable to use Tien Sa for both cargo and tourism purposes. Cruise tourists are high-income earners who need high-quality services and will not accept to go underneath containers hung over their heads. 

Building a new port for cargo transportation and turning the existing Tien Sa into a tourism port are being considered.

Ho Duy Diem, former head of the Da Nang Development Planning Committee, said that natural conditions and transportation characteristics are unfavorable for Lien Chieu port development.

The port is projected to be built at the foot of Hai Van Mountain. This is an area of shallow sea, big waves and strong winds, making it dangerous for vessels to bypass or stop.

The construction of the port would need huge capital of VND33 trillion for three phases of implementation. The State would have to spend VND3 trillion to build breakwaters and passages.
Source: Vietnamnet

Tin chưa đọc